- December 24, 2020
- Posted by: Limi Hospital
- Category: General
Special techniques and technology can often be applied to assist the process of conception.
The Limi hospital has a standard world class assisted reproductive technology laboratory and theatre where she carries out these procedures by local and foreign trained professionals
These are offered by Limi Hospital’s professionals to all couples using international guidelines and world-class standards.
The practice involves a wide range of tools, techniques and procedures to ensure a positive outcome.
- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI): this technique involves the collection of the male gametes, preparation and concentration outside the body with special agents that improves their performance and then subsequent deposition of the specially prepared gametes directly into the uterus (womb) of the woman around the time of ovulation thereby increasing success of conception far above regular intercourse.
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF): this technique involves the preparation of both male and female gametes for the fertilization process, extraction of these gametes and fertilization outside the body under controlled conditions.
- The woman is also given special medications to prepare the uterus (womb) for pregnancy and shortly after the fertilization has occurred, the growing embryo is transferred into the woman’s womb for the pregnancy to continue naturally.
- Occasionally and where required or requested, special services are made available to ensure that this is a success:
- Donor Gametes- using anonymous meticulously selected and screened donors of female eggs and/or male sperm
- Surrogate Services- after following all relevant legal documentation and processes may be provided to allow another individual carry pregnancy to term for a couple using their own or donor gametes
- Cryopreservation- this involves the cold storage of fertilized or unfertilized gametes for later use.
- Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI): this technique is a higher form of IVF that involves not just allowing the gametes to meet at random (or not) but picking and selecting particular gametes and with the help of high-end instruments inject the gametes into each other and groom before retransfer as in IVF.