- December 27, 2020
- Posted by: Limi Hospital
Welcome to Prenatal Care at The Limi Hospital! Congratulations, you’re having a baby! We are excited to join you on this journey to welcome your baby.
Pregnancy is an exciting time for everyone. After all your little one is on the way. Our Guest Experience, Obstetrics and Gyneacology teams are here to guide you through your time of pregnancy up till childbirth.
What is Prenatal Care?
Prenatal or Antenatal care is the care you receive while you pregnant to make sure you and your baby stay well and healthy all through your pregnancy. The nurses and doctors here in The Limi Hospital overseeing your Prenatal care will:
- Check the health of you and your baby
- Give you useful information to help you have a healthy pregnancy, including advice about healthy eating and exercise
- Discuss your options and choices for your care during pregnancy, labour and birth
- Answer any questions you may have you must not forget to make sure you and the baby are healthy and stay that way.
When Should I register for Prenatal Care?
It is advised that you register as soon as you receive the news that you are pregnant. You should have a minimum of 8 Prenatal contact sessions throughout your pregnancy.
Why Prenatal Care?
Pregnancy brings a whole lot of changes to your whole body and there are lots of things you should and should not do, best foods to eat and things to avoid, and medications you should not take for the period. You will need expert medical knowledge to go through this phase successfully.
As every child is unique so is every pregnancy. As such, it is advised that you register for Prenatal Care for every pregnancy. Many women, especially those who are already mothers, might see Prenatal as unnecessary, however, each baby’s journey is unique from the others and must be carefully monitored through the course of their development.
Benefits of The Limi Hospital Prenatal service includes:
- Helping expecting parents understand and get fact-based information on pregnancy, birthing options, breastfeeding and how to care for the newborn. Not all the ancient ways of managing children are correct, getting professional information and advice is very important in navigating pregnancy and childbirth.
- Providing the right information on nutrition during pregnancy and breastfeeding to expecting moms.
- Preventing complications – some pregnant women develop complications such as hypertension and diabetes. These will be detected early and treated properly
- Managing illness through pregnancy is tricky, our team is here to help you through any form of
- Giving fathers-to-be an opportunity to understand your partner through their journey of pregnancy, birth and early parenting.
- Creating opportunities to meet expectant parents like you and a community to share your problems and best practices.
What Should I Expect?
- Laboratory Investigations
- Hepatitis B Surface Antigen (HbsAg)
- HIV screening
- Blood grouping (ABO and RH)
- HB genotype
- Obstetric Ultrasound Scans:
- The obstetric ultrasound examination provides an accurate and safe clinical assessment of the baby’s growth journey throughout a woman’s pregnancy. This is done in each Trimester to learn about pregnancy location, identifying the number of embryos present, and aiding in the prenatal diagnosis of fetal anomalies.
- TT vaccines – 2 doses
- Haematinics: This medication is an iron supplement used to prevent and treat low blood levels of iron (such as those caused by anemia or pregnancy). Iron is an important mineral that the body needs to produce red blood cells and keep you in good health.
- Preventive Anti-malaria medications – 2 visits
- Specialist Consultations:
- Consultant Obstetrician/Gynaecologist – 3 Sessions (One consultation per trimester).
- Obstetric Primary Physician Consultations – As many as required.
Prenatal Classes are designed to inform you and help you prepare for the birth of your baby. At the weekly classes meet other expecting parents, you will receive medical and evidence-based guidance and tips on managing yourself through pregnancy and how to look after your new baby.
Prenatal Classes …………………………Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
The Limi Hospital prides itself on being at the forefront of Nigeria’s fight to increase skilled care and childbirth, reduce stillbirth, and improve maternal care and counseling for HIV, malaria, TB and other illnesses.
With around-the-clock obstetric services and access to our world-class obstetric specialists, we are proud to be contributing our quota towards drastically reducing maternal and child mortality and morbidity in Nigeria.
Our services include;
- ANC all inclusive packages
- ANC screening- HIV, Hep. B, syphilis, anaemia, etc
- Intermittent prevention treatment for malaria
- Tetanus vaccination
- ANC classes/lectures every week
- Obstetric specialist consults
- Obstetric scans with radiology consultant review
- In-person and on-phone follow-up with our midwives, etc